Each year Outside the Comfort Zone runs a survey about fear.
Just under 1,000 people from more than 50 different countries completed the survey this time.
If you would like to take the survey yourself, please click here.
Here are the results:
Top 10 Fears & Phobias
1. Glossophobia - Fear of Public Speaking - 37%
2. Acrophobia - Fear of Heights - 35%
3. Arachnophobia - Fear of Spiders - 30%
4. Claustrophobia - Fear of Enclosed Spaces - 25%
5. Nyctophobia - Fear of the Dark - 20%
6. Agoraphobia - Fear of Open Spaces - 11%
7. Cynophobia - Fear of Dogs - 9%
8. Aviophobia - Fear of Flying - 7%
9. Sociaphobia - Fear of Interacting with Others - 6%
10. Necrophobia - Fear of Death - 5%
When asked: "Would you like to overcome your fear or phobia?" 91% said "Yes".
When asked: "Have you ever feared that something bad would happen but it did not happen?" 84% said "Yes".
When asked: "Has a fear ever prevented you from doing something that you wanted to do?" 86% said "Yes".
When asked: "Do you think it is possible to overcome any fear or phobia?" 89% said "Yes".
Some of the less common fears reported:
Lepidopterophobia - Fear of Butterflies
Altocelarophobia - Fear of High Ceilings
Helianthophobia - Fear of Sunflowers
Trypophobia - Fear of Uneven Surfaces
Pittakionophobia - Fear of Stickers (especially on fruit)
Koumpounophobia - Fear of Buttons
Ranidaphobia - Fear of Frogs